Definition of tectonophysics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The branch of geophysics that deals with the forces that cause movement and deformation in the earth’s crust.
- This paper reviews the recent progress in the studies of experimental rock mechanics and tectonophysics concerning seismology and physics of the Earth's interior in China.
- Tectonophysics is aimed at incoming graduate students and senior undergraduates, and examines the basic physical processes of the dynamic Earth.
- Plate tectonics and tectonophysics are disciplines of Earth Science which describe the motions of the Earth's crust and the associated driving mechanisms of such motion.
- Example sentences
- Our observations challenge tectonophysicists to explain how a normal fault may rupture at such low angle, and support the concept of low-angle detachment even in the classic central Basin and Range.
- Seismologists, geologists, and tectonophysicists discuss the dynamics of earthquakes, floods, landslides and severe storms, and how they have shaped the Earth.
- An enduring challenge facing tectonophysicists is to relate processes and measurements at Earth's surface to their origins at depths that can't be directly observed.
Definition of tectonophysics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.