- Lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent: a temporary jobMore example sentences
- In the past, permanent and temporary staff always had the same pay and conditions.
- He is living here, but we do not know whether this is a permanent or temporary arrangement.
- He hoped the company would assist them in finding temporary accommodation.
noun (plural temporaries)Back to top
- A person employed on a temporary basis, typically an office worker who finds employment through an agency. See also temp1.More example sentences
- They're paying overtime to existing employees or hiring temporaries instead.
- They provide temporaries to firms needing replacement workers on a short-term basis.
- You'd think that employers would try to fill the gap with temporaries.
mid 16th century: from Latin temporarius, from tempus, tempor- 'time'.