- 1The quality or fact of being able to grip something firmly; grip: the sheer tenacity of the limpetMore example sentencesSynonymspersistence, determination, perseverance, doggedness, strength of purpose, tirelessness, indefatigability, resolution, resoluteness, resolve, firmness, patience, purposefulness, staunchness, steadfastness, staying power, endurance, stamina, stubbornness, intransigence, obstinacy, obduracy, pertinacity
- 1.1The quality or fact of being very determined; determination: you have to admire the tenacity of these two guysMore example sentences
- He had a chance to measure the motive forces of men; their qualities of character; their foresight; their tenacity of purpose.
- What she lacks in skill she makes up for with tenacity.
- Dressed simply in brown unitards, they brought a workmanlike tenacity to their precarious endeavors.
- 1.2The quality or fact of continuing to exist; persistence: the tenacity of certain myths within the historical recordMore example sentences
- The photograph, she adds, "exemplifies the tenacity of certain myths within the historical record."