Definition of tenderloin in English:
1The tenderest part of a loin of beef, pork, etc., taken from under the short ribs in the hindquarters.
- Pork tenderloin is the fillet steak of the pig and is seriously underrated.
- The meat section had: butterflied lamb, mutton, beef, pork chop, pork tenderloin and T-bone.
- For generous helpings of protein and low levels of fat, pork loin and tenderloin are on par with chicken breast.
1.1US The undercut of a sirloin.
- This is the fillet (also known as tenderloin, or undercut), a long muscle located underneath the bones of the sirloin.
- A Porterhouse steak consists of both tenderloin and sirloin.
- If you can afford cuts such as tenderloin or top sirloin, you can feel good about eating a tasty yet healthy source of protein.
2North American informal A district of a city where vice and corruption are prominent.
[ late 19th century: originally a term applied to a district of New York, seen as a 'choice' assignment by police because of the bribes offered to them to turn a blind eye]
- Urban reformers had closed the segregated districts in over eighty cities, including the entrenched tenderloins.
- Most large and many smaller cities had thriving, protected tenderloins.
- Wards with vice districts consistently elected important tenderloin businessmen, usually leading saloon keepers.
Definition of tenderloin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan