1A flexible but inelastic cord of strong fibrous collagen tissue attaching a muscle to a bone.
- A physical examination will determine if damage to tissue, nerves, tendons, or bone has occurred.
- The patella, or kneecap, is a floating bone within the tendon of the quadriceps muscle group.
- Muscles are attached to bones by tough bands of connective tissue called tendons.
- Example sentences
- Occasionally, the lower portion of the muscle is traversed by a tendinous intersection.
- The body wall musculature is associated with a complex of tendons and tendinous sheets which play multiple roles during different modes of locomotion.
- When an acute partial tear occurs at the tendinous insertion into the pubic bone, a period of rest must be completed before pain-free physical therapy is possible.
Late Middle English: from French or medieval Latin tendo(n-), translating Greek tenōn 'sinew', from teinein 'to stretch'.
Words that rhyme with tendonBrendan
Definition of tendon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.