A small, insectivorous mammal native to Madagascar, different kinds of which resemble hedgehogs, shrews, or small otters.
- Several genera in the family Tenrecidae: many species, including the common (or tailless) tenrec (Tenrec ecaudatus), also found in the Comoro islands
More example sentences
- Afrotheria is a newly recognized taxon comprising elephants, hyraxes, sea cows, aardvarks, golden moles, tenrecs, and elephant shrews.
- Even comprehensive analyses have not clarified phylogenetic relationships among aardvarks, tenrecs, golden moles, and elephant shrews.
- Small, spiny, pointy-nosed creatures known as tenrecs are the equivalents of shrews, moles and hedgehogs.
late 18th century: from French tanrec, from Malagasy tàndraka.
Definition of tenrec in:
- The British & World English dictionary