Definition of tenrec in English:
A small, insectivorous mammal native to Madagascar, different kinds of which resemble hedgehogs, shrews, or small otters.
- Several genera in the family Tenrecidae: many species, including the common (or tailless) tenrec (Tenrec ecaudatus), also found in the Comoro islands
- Afrotheria is a newly recognized taxon comprising elephants, hyraxes, sea cows, aardvarks, golden moles, tenrecs, and elephant shrews.
- Even comprehensive analyses have not clarified phylogenetic relationships among aardvarks, tenrecs, golden moles, and elephant shrews.
- Small, spiny, pointy-nosed creatures known as tenrecs are the equivalents of shrews, moles and hedgehogs.
Definition of tenrec in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan