Definition of tent caterpillar in English:
A chiefly American moth caterpillar that lives in groups inside communal silken webs in a tree, which it often defoliates.
- Several species in the family Lasiocampidae, especially Malacosoma americana
- Farms should minimize or eliminate the exposure of pregnant mares to the eastern tent caterpillar.
- The forest tent caterpillar is the major pest in hardwood stands, and severe outbreaks were reported in the area during the 20th century.
- From the way tent caterpillar nests are proliferating on wild cherry, apple and crabapple trees, cuckoos will be encouraged to raise large families, as those pupae are cuckoos' staple food.
Definition of tent caterpillar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan