Definition of tent pole in English:
1A pole supporting a tent.
- Dressed just in pyjamas, they attempted to secure the tent in a howling gale, only to discover a tent pole had broken.
- There's a slab of concrete where the tent pole goes in.
- Lounging against barriers erected for crowd control, they offered unsolicited advice to frazzled young ladies tangled in a complex mass of tent poles.
2 [usually as modifier] informal , chiefly US A movie that is expected to be very successful and therefore able to fund a range of related products or movies: tent-pole movies can run to three hundred million or more in total costs
More example sentences
- Yes, Ang Lee is directing a summer tent pole.
- Director Alejandro Agresti and his team are hereby remanded from making any studio tent pole pictures with budgets greater than $25 million.
- I see it as a tent pole for summer 2003.
Definition of tent pole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan