- In a state of suspense or agitation because of uncertainty about a future event.Example sentences
in suspense, waiting with bated breath;anxious, nervous, apprehensive, worried, worried sick, on edge, edgy, antsy, tense, strained, stressed, agitated, restless, worked up, keyed up, jumpy, with one's stomach in knots, with one's heart in one's mouth
- Hospital bosses in south Essex were today on tenterhooks as the future of controversial foundation trusts went back into the melting pot.
- Anyhoo, I feel like the grandparents were just waiting on tenterhooks to find out the sex so they can finally go out and shop for the baby.
- Everyone is just waiting on tenterhooks for the ward phone to ring.
Definition of tenterhook in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan