A hook used to fasten cloth on a drying frame or tenter.
More example sentences
- Their first guess was they were tenterhooks, sometimes known as tenter posts - devices used to stretch cloth while it was being dyed.
- In a state of suspense or agitation because of uncertainty about a future event.More example sentences
in suspense, waiting with bated breath; anxious, nervous, apprehensive, worried, worried sick, on edge, edgy, antsy, tense, strained, stressed, agitated, restless, worked up, keyed up, jumpy, with one's stomach in knots, with one's heart in one's mouthsquirrelly
- Hospital bosses in south Essex were today on tenterhooks as the future of controversial foundation trusts went back into the melting pot.
- Anyhoo, I feel like the grandparents were just waiting on tenterhooks to find out the sex so they can finally go out and shop for the baby.
- Everyone is just waiting on tenterhooks for the ward phone to ring.
Definition of tenterhook in:
- The British & World English dictionary