Entry from British & World English dictionary
noun[mass noun] Geology
The dating of volcanic eruptions and other events by studying layers of tephra.
- To introduce students to tephrochronology as a means of correlating marine, ice and terrestrial proxy records of palaeoenvironmental change.
- These deposits are important because they permit both increased dating resolution in areas close to volcanoes and the use of tephrochronology over very long distances.
- Example sentences
- The prize shall be awarded to the author or co-authors of the most meritorious contribution to tephrochronological research in the New Zealand region published in the previous 3 years.
- The tephrochronological record of Monticchio is ideal for linking both terrestrial and marine sequences of the Eastern Mediterranean.
- A preliminary tephrochronological investigation was conducted around mid to late Holocene archaeological sites on the coast of eleven islands of the Kuril Islands.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tephro|chron¦ology
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.