noun(plural teredos) Zoology
- A wormlike bivalve mollusk with reduced shells that it uses to drill into wood. It can cause substantial damage to wooden structures and vessels. Also called shipworm.
More example sentences
- Genus Teredo, family Teredinidae: several species, in particular T. navalis
- I first became acquainted with teredos while working on wooden boats in the San Francisco Bay area.
- It has been tried before but the bamboo became completely waterlogged and eaten by teredos before the Pacific was half crossed.
- In the age of wooden ships, teredos and other wood-borers were a tremendous problem.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek terēdōn; related to teirein 'rub hard, wear away'.
More definitions of teredoDefinition of teredo in:
- The British & World English dictionary