- 1A harsh-tempered or overbearing woman.More example sentences
- Your highness, sorry about the shrieking termagant!
- He rolled his eyes at his mother, who was practically puffing up in indignation for the termagant who had all but threw him out of her home after the argument they had about the engagement.
- Rourke was sure he would not want to face the termagant anytime soon.
Middle English (sense 2): via Old French from Italian Trivigante, taken to be from Latin tri- 'three' + vagant- 'wandering', and to refer to the moon “wandering” between heaven, earth, and hell under the three names Selene, Artemis, and Persephone.
More definitions of termagantDefinition of termagant in:
- The British & World English dictionary