Definition of terminate in English:
- When the work was more than half finished the homeowners terminated the contract.
- She went off on sick leave in early 1998 and her appointment was terminated in March that year.
- As a result, data collection in these sites was terminated prior to achieving the targeted number of cases.
- A road does not necessarily terminate in the same sector in which it begins.
- The end result is a three-storey, south-facing crescent, terminating in a taller building at either side, creating a book-end effect.
- The group took a thrilling helicopter ride over the glacier, which descends some 2,280 feet, terminating in a spectacular icefall that feeds the river.
- We all got off at Kennington, because the train was terminating; he stumbles and falls over onto the other platform.
- The driver told them the bus had terminated and asked them to leave, but they demanded to be taken on to Danebury Avenue.
- The doors closed, we trundled to the next station, then the train terminated.
- Once the fetal demise was diagnosed, pregnancy was terminated by medical induction, such that the products of conception were largely delivered intact.
- In severe cases, detected early in pregnancy, the option of terminating the pregnancy may be considered.
- I work as an obstetrician in a city where one in three pregnancies is terminated.
- The Plaintiff testified that she was shocked that she was terminated from her employment.
- An at-will policy allows employers to terminate workers at the company's discretion.
- When someone is terminated, sit down with each employee individually and tell them why that happened, Duffy says.
Late 16th century (in the sense 'direct an action toward a specified end'): from Latin terminat- 'limited, ended', from the verb terminare, from terminus 'end, boundary'.
terminate someone with extreme prejudice
- euphemistic , chiefly US Murder or assassinate someone (used as a euphemism).Example sentences
- If I told you I'd have to remotely terminate you with extreme prejudice immediately afterwards!
- They might send missiles or the guy next door might be about to terminate you with extreme prejudice.
- If you have a heavy-breathing guy in a mask trying to terminate you with extreme prejudice while you're doing this, your hands will probably be shaking, so add at least a minute to the process.
Words that rhyme with terminateexterminate, germinate, verminate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.