Definition of terminator in English:
1A person or thing that terminates something.
- Techniques intended to monitor foetal health became terminators of the female foetus.
- In the end, I chose an electronic insect terminator, and I am not unhappy!
- The public is given a fearful impression with images of Frankenstein foods, killer tomatoes, and terminator seeds.
1.1 Astronomy The dividing line between the light and dark part of a planetary body.
- The terminator of the planet was visible at it's edge, and some artificial light brightened the thickening dusk on the night side.
- Anyone standing on the surface of the moon would see the sun gradually rise as the terminator passes them and the area goes from dark to light.
- Looking along the line separating the bright and dark halves (the terminator line), at you can make out a decently prominent crater near the top of the lower quarter.
1.2 Biochemistry A sequence of polynucleotides that causes transcription to end and the newly synthesized nucleic acid to be released from the template molecule.
- If transcription through such DNA regions is impeded by means of a transcription terminator or by shutting off the promoter, hyperrecombination is abolished.
- The upstream rRNA transcription terminator and a hairpin structure downstream of recD, which might work as a transcription terminator, are shown.
- In wild-type chromosomes, these proteins are confined to the heterochromatic DNA sequences either by terminator sequences or by proximally directed initiators.
Definition of terminator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan