Definition of terne in English:
noun(also terne metal)
1A lead alloy containing about 20 percent tin and often some antimony.
- Long terne steel sheet is carbon steel sheet that has been continuously coated by various hot dip processes with terne metal.
- Standing seam metal roofs of copper or terne metal are found on many older homes and are a good choice for those who want to maintain that original appearance.
- This material is commonly known as terne and is used where ease of solderability and a degree of corrosion resistance are desirable.
1.1 (also terneplate) Thin sheet iron or steel coated with this.
- In addition, any moisture that is trapped between the terne plate and paint film can be a source of oxygen.
- The earlier systems could only weld terne plate, and the accuracy of the welded assembly was a problem.
- Sheet metal, lead, copper, zinc, tin plate, terne plate, and galvanized iron have all been used as roofing materials.
Mid 19th century (denoting terneplate): probably from French terne 'dull, tarnished'.
Words that rhyme with terneadjourn, astern, Berne, burn, churn, concern, discern, earn, fern, fohn, kern, learn, Lucerne, quern, Sauternes, spurn, stern, Sterne, tern, Traherne, turn, urn, Verne, yearn
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.