noun(also terne metal)
- 1A lead alloy containing about 20 percent tin and often some antimony.More example sentences
- Long terne steel sheet is carbon steel sheet that has been continuously coated by various hot dip processes with terne metal.
- Standing seam metal roofs of copper or terne metal are found on many older homes and are a good choice for those who want to maintain that original appearance.
- This material is commonly known as terne and is used where ease of solderability and a degree of corrosion resistance are desirable.
- 1.1 (also terneplate) Thin sheet iron or steel coated with this.More example sentences
- In addition, any moisture that is trapped between the terne plate and paint film can be a source of oxygen.
- The earlier systems could only weld terne plate, and the accuracy of the welded assembly was a problem.
- Sheet metal, lead, copper, zinc, tin plate, terne plate, and galvanized iron have all been used as roofing materials.
mid 19th century (denoting terneplate): probably from French terne 'dull, tarnished'.
More definitions of terneDefinition of terne in:
- The British & World English dictionary