- In addition, there was a show of the Ullswater foxhounds and an open foxhound show; a show of various breeds of terriers along with gun dogs and children's pets.
- Those days in Ireland there were few breeds to choose from and the greyhound, Irish red setter, terrier and sheep dog were about as far as it went.
- The date is also traditionally the first day of hunting meets and foxhounds, lurchers, greyhounds, beagles, minkhounds, terriers and other hunting dogs will all be taken along to Higham.
- He was like a terrier, bounding along, whereas I was more like a snail - there was just so much to see at this site.
- She was like a terrier worrying an elk hound, charging in and pressing an attack so fast and furious he had no choice but to defend himself.
- Roche has worked like a terrier on the campaign, cancelling his summer holidays and launching a series of blistering broadsides on the No side.
late Middle English: from Old French (chien) terrier 'earth (dog)', from medieval Latin terrarius, from Latin terra 'earth'.
Entry from British & World English dictionary
late 15th century: from Old French terrier, from medieval Latin terrarius (liber) '(book) of land', from Latin terra 'earth'.