- (Of a marine deposit) made of material eroded from the land.More example sentences
- The composition of terrigenous sedimentary rocks would merely reflect the compositional aggregate of their source areas.
- Vancouver Island is regarded as the source of terrigenous material of the Hoko River Formation due to its matching lithologies, close proximity, and agreement with paleocurrent directions.
- The rocks contain abundant terrigenous clay and organic matter.
late 17th century (in the sense 'produced from the earth, earth-born'): from Latin terrigenus (from terra 'earth' + -genus 'born') + -ous.
More definitions of terrigenousDefinition of terrigenous in:
- The British & World English dictionary