- A condition marked by intermittent muscular spasms, caused by malfunction of the parathyroid glands and a consequent deficiency of calcium.More example sentences
- Short of full-blown tetany, in medical conditions with a low blood calcium the motor axons in the peripheral nerves may show an increased sensitivity to mechanical stimulation.
- The patient may experience nausea, vomiting, hyperventilation, and hypocalcemia with muscle tetany and seizures.
- Larger doses of fluoride can cause life-threatening hypocalcemia with convulsions, tetany, decreased myocardial contractility, ventricular arrhythmias, and cardiac arrest.
late 19th century: from French tétanie, from Latin tetanus (see tetanus).
More definitions of tetanyDefinition of tetany in:
- The British & World English dictionary