Definition of tetra in English:
A small tropical freshwater fish that is typically brightly colored. Native to Africa and America, many tetras are popular in aquariums.
- Numerous genera and species in the family Characidae, including the neon tetra
- We have a freshwater fish tank community of tetras, catfish, gouramis and loaches.
- Like many tetras, the glowlight tetra is a schooling fish and prefers to swim in the company of at least seven of its peers.
- The freshwater mollies and tetras are rather ferocious and may take chunks out of your skin like miniature piranhas.
Mid 20th century: abbreviation of modern Latin Tetragonopterus (former genus name), literally 'tetragonal-finned'.
Words that rhyme with tetrabelles-lettres, Petra, raison d'être
Definition of tetra in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.