Definition of tetralogy in English:
noun (plural tetralogies)
1A group of four related literary or operatic works.
- Of the tetralogy, I think Walküre is my least favourite.
- Rabbit Remembered may have upset the symmetry of his great tetralogy but it in no way diminishes it.
- Adam Phillips starts his essay on the impossibilities of human desire by quoting Christopher Tietjens, the stoic hero of Ford Madox Ford's tetralogy, Parade's End.
1.1A series of four ancient Greek dramas, three tragedies and one satyr play, originally presented together.
[From Greek tetralogia]
- Many of Aeschylus' productions were connected ‘tetralogies’, comprising three tragedies presenting successive episodes of a single story (a ‘trilogy’) followed by a satyr-play based on part of the same or a related myth.
- Whereas in the first tetralogy women are granted considerable power as warriors and politicians, in the second tetralogy there are ‘fewer female characters; they have less time on stage and less to say when they get there.’
- The earliest copy of Plato's Tetralogies is dated about 1,200 years after Plato supposedly wrote the original.
2 Medicine A set of four related symptoms or abnormalities frequently occurring together.
- The various operations performed on these patients were corrective operations for cyanotic heart disease such as tetralogy of Fallot, tricuspid atresia, pulmonary atresia and transposition of great vessels.
- Fallot's tetralogy is a set of 4 congenital heart defects occurring together.
- Two of them had Fallot's tetralogy, which Cleland and his colleagues had never operated on before.
Words that rhyme with tetralogyallergy, analogy, genealogy, hypallage, metallurgy, mineralogy
Definition of tetralogy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan