Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of tetrasyllable in English:
A word of four syllables.
- ‘One is monosyllabic, the other tetrasyllable,’ Spindrift begins.
- Banville has likewise tried his hand at short strophes composed entirely of tetrasyllables, as have also Richepin and Verlaine.
- Since the "Pater noster" text contains no penult-accented tetrasyllables, only results for antepenult-accented tetrasyllables can be presented, which Figure 22 does.
- Example sentences
- Beginning in the Wei and Jin, Shijing-style tetrasyllabic poems gradually fell into decline and the popular stele-memorial inscription then became the primary vehicle for tetrasyllabic writings.
- Full stress falls on the first syllable of a word, thus obliterating the Latin stress on the penultimate or antepenultimate in trisyllabic, tetrasyllabic and pentasyllabic words.
- The primary accented syllables in monomorphemic trisyllabic and tetrasyllabic Thai words are the final syllables.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.