noun[as modifier] Chemistry
1A cation derived from tetrazole or one of its derivatives, especially the triphenyl derivative.
- The ability of the seedlings to reduce triphenyl tetrazolium chloride was then determined, using the method of Steponskus and Lanphear.
- The seeds were then cut in half longitudinally and deposited on a sterile Whatman No.1 filter paper impregnated with 1% tetrazolium chloride.
- After 24 and 48 h, aliquots were transferred to 96-well plates and incubated for 3 h with a tetrazolium salt.
1.1 (also nitroblue tetrazolium) A yellow dye used as a test for viability in biological material.
- The stains acridine orange, ethidium bromide, azur II, eosin B, trypan blue, Giemsa solution and nitroblue tetrazolium were purchased from Sigma.
- The failure of all 1-year-old dry - stored seeds to germinate likely reflected a loss of viability, rather than evidence of a dormant state, because the small percentage that stained positive to tetrazolium did so weakly.
- This technique is more reliable than tetrazolium chloride for this species, because some deeply dormant viable seeds show minimal staining with tetrazolium.
Definition of tetrazolium in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.