A book used as a standard work for the study of a particular subject.
- The book relies on standard economic theory, and many of the concepts can be found in standard textbooks.
- Of these textbooks, only his books on logic and on music have certainly survived intact.
- In fact, he was so far ahead of the field that he had become distrustful of many standard textbooks.
Conforming to or corresponding to a standard or type that is prescribed or widely held by theorists: he had the presence of mind to carry out a textbook emergency descent
More example sentences
- He need not have worried, everything about the man is textbook fairytale hero.
- The actors avoid textbook sitcom comedy styles in favour of the real thing.
- Save for his aversion to the blues, the patient is something of a textbook classicist.
- Example sentences
- For example, the quality of the book is somewhat uneven: the last chapters are much better than the first ones, which are rather ‘textbookish’ with considerable use of secondary sources.
- It is a bit textbookish and the 19th century writing style is a bit difficult but it is interesting reading.
- It's textbookish and likely that's the only way most young readers will read it - if they are assigned it.
Definition of textbook in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.