Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of thali in English:
noun (plural thalis)
1A set meal at an Indian restaurant.
- The long menu runs from Mexican nachos with refried beans to Indian thalis, Greek salads and Middle Eastern meze.
- We all ended up at Masala Zone for grand thalis and (Enid Blyton stylee) lashings of homemade lemonade.
- If you want a more relaxed approach, then the pantry provides delicious thalis at your seat via your personal bearer.
1.1A metal plate on which Indian food is served.
- As you might guess, the two options are both thalis, those metal plates with recessed sections for the various foodstuffs.
- She would put another roti on the floor next to the thali, say a prayer and sprinkle water on the roti.
- Meals are served on a thali, a metal tray on which roti, rice, and small bowls are placed.
From Hindi thālī, from Sanskrit sthālī.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.