1Express gratitude to (someone), especially by saying “Thank you”: Mac thanked her for the meal and left
More example sentences
- I could bore you all by thanking the little people who helped me to where I am today.
- By thanking people you are building good will and empathy with their support.
- This man got up and read a little piece thanking the people of Ireland for their generosity.
1.1Used ironically to assign blame or responsibility for something: you have only yourself to thank for the plight you are in
More example sentences
- So we get a way to accept inevitable death, some good social rules and someone to thank or blame for it all.
Old English thancian, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch and German danken; compare with thanks.
I will thank you to do something
- Used to make a request or command and implying a reproach or annoyance: I’ll thank you not to interrupt me againMore example sentences
- ‘No ‘buts,’ sir, and I will thank you to leave now.’
- If [a trader should] take the bill to the banker's, at whose house it is made payable, and say, ‘Gentlemen, I will thank you to inform me if the accepter of this bill be a respectable man - May I safely give goods or money in exchange for it?’
- I am your Supreme Commander for this operation, and I will thank you to remember it.
thank goodness (or God or heavens)
- An expression of relief: thank goodness no one was badly injuredMore example sentences
- Thank goodness for a free press; and thank goodness for our imperfect system of Democracy.
- Gasping with relief I say, It could have broken but thank goodness it did not.
- The station survived just fine, thank heavens.
thank one's lucky stars
- Feel grateful for one’s good fortune.More example sentences
- Mellisa thanks her lucky stars for having attended St Joseph's Convent where the many extra-curricular activities - drama, singing, elocution, poetry - helped tremendously in developing her talent.
- Bullock thanks her lucky stars that she had been working for a number of years before hitting the Hollywood jackpot.
- A family from Burbage, near Marlborough, are thanking their lucky stars that a meteorological ‘kink’ spared their new holiday home in Florida from the ravages of the recent Hurricane Charley.