Definition of thanksgiving in English:
1The expression of gratitude, especially to God: he offered prayers in thanksgiving for his safe arrival he described the service as a thanksgiving
More example sentences
- He was thrilled and ordered that special prayer services of thanksgiving be held that night.
- Miriam and Dermot sang in the local choir, always delighting in singing songs of praise and thanksgiving.
- This form of thanksgiving is not confined to spiritual devotion and verbal expressions.
2 (Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day) (In North America) an annual national holiday marked by religious observances and a traditional meal including turkey. The holiday commemorates a harvest festival celebrated by the Pilgrims in 1621, and is held in the US on the fourth Thursday in November. A similar holiday is held in Canada, usually on the second Monday in October.
- It's the second Monday in October or Thanksgiving Day in Canada!
- On the eve of November's Thanksgiving holiday, the couple announced they had separated.
- We tell each other this story and make our children perform it for our sacred holidays - Thanksgiving Day, the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Lincoln's Birthday.
Definition of thanksgiving in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan