- 1The expression of gratitude, especially to God: he offered prayers in thanksgiving for his safe arrival he described the service as a thanksgivingMore example sentences
- He was thrilled and ordered that special prayer services of thanksgiving be held that night.
- Miriam and Dermot sang in the local choir, always delighting in singing songs of praise and thanksgiving.
- This form of thanksgiving is not confined to spiritual devotion and verbal expressions.
- 2 (Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day) (In North America) an annual national holiday marked by religious observances and a traditional meal including turkey. The holiday commemorates a harvest festival celebrated by the Pilgrims in 1621, and is held in the US on the fourth Thursday in November. A similar holiday is held in Canada, usually on the second Monday in October.More example sentences
- It's the second Monday in October or Thanksgiving Day in Canada!
- On the eve of November's Thanksgiving holiday, the couple announced they had separated.
- We tell each other this story and make our children perform it for our sacred holidays - Thanksgiving Day, the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Lincoln's Birthday.
More definitions of thanksgivingDefinition of thanksgiving in:
- The British & World English dictionary