- An English thane.More example sentences
- That is not to say that the English thegn was any less formidable than the Norman knight, as Hastings was to show.
- Thousands of English thegns, between the mid-ninth and the mid-eleventh centuries, came into possession of their own small estates.
- It was not a time of men challenging each other in heroic duels (was there ever a time like this?), but a time for the thegns to organise repairs to bridges and roads.
mid 19th century: modern representation of Old English theg(e)n, adopted to distinguish the Old English use of thane from the Scots use made familiar by Shakespeare.
More definitions of thegnDefinition of thegn in:
- The British & World English dictionary