Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures. Compare with deism.
- Along the way, Polkinghorne argues that going beyond the basics of theism can make belief more credible to nonbelievers.
- As long as Ted has had any beliefs of any kind, we may suppose, he has believed that God exists; theism is not a belief he came to.
- Here liberal theism and varieties of natural theology seemed particularly dangerous.
- Example sentences
- As Barr notes, however, this assumes, without rational justification, that all rational explanation must be rendered in terms of equations and quantities, an assumption that theists reject.
- Years ago I wrote about the tendency of modernist, evolution-minded, progressive, pacifist theists to live long lives.
- In other words, what is such a debate supposed to do: make theists?
Late 17th century: from Greek theos 'god' + -ism.
Words that rhyme with theismShiism
Definition of theism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.