- A bitter, volatile compound obtained from cacao seeds. It is an alkaloid resembling caffeine in its physiological effects.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C7H8N4O2
- Caffeine and theobromine are two naturally occurring alkaloids that are present in plants used to brew beverages in many cultures.
- Alkaloids have been described as components of plant defence responses and the two main alkaloids found in cocoa are caffeine and theobromine.
- Cocoa contains theobromine, an alkaloid that penetrates the skin to the subcutaneous fat layer and may help stimulate the release of stored fat.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Theobroma (genus name, from Greek theos 'god' and brōma 'food') + -ine4.
More definitions of theobromineDefinition of theobromine in:
- The British & World English dictionary