Definition of theorem in English:
nounPhysics & Mathematics
1A general proposition not self-evident but proved by a chain of reasoning; a truth established by means of accepted truths.
- Ideally the definitions would generate all the concepts from clear and distinct ideas, and the proofs would generate all the theorems from self-evident truths.
- There is a theorem proved by Kurt Godel in 1931, which is the Incompleteness Theorem for mathematics.
- In modern Fourier analysis, theorems are usually less important than the techniques developed to prove them.
1.1A rule in algebra or other branches of mathematics expressed by symbols or formulae.
- But why would you pass up free education that could take you places somewhere someday, even though we will never use the algebra theorems ever?
- We learn how the dynamics of addition and subtraction are linked to multiplication and division, and eventually to theorems of algebra.
- He also used letters to replace numbers and was able to state general algebraic theorems but this early use of algebraic notation was not used by subsequent writers.
- Example sentences
- The ideas we present are basically in the nature of ‘throw-aways,’ suggesting topics where more sophisticated analyses and clear theorematic results would be desirable.
- To read it selectively according to particular topical or theorematic segments is to break the all-important systematic links that bind the treatise into an extraordinarily elegant whole.
- This being the case, I limit my comments in this review to the few immediately understandable sentences or paragraphs written in English (i.e., the side comments, not theorematic material) that a few of the authors have seen fit to include.
Pronunciation: /ˌTHēərəˈmatik, ˌTHi(ə)rə-/adjective
Words that rhyme with theoremserum
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan