- An ointment or other medicinal compound used as an antidote to snake venom or other poison.More example sentences
- Numerous Islamic writers discussed poisons and particularly theriacs, the antidotes for poisons.
- Ibn al-Mubarak devoted, in addition, a section, to theriacs and general antidotes.
- Medieval physicians created even more elaborate theriacs to dose a plague-dreading populace, for whom the possibility of a cure-all didn't seem too wild a notion at all.
late Middle English: from Latin theriaca (see treacle).
More definitions of theriacDefinition of theriac in:
- The British & World English dictionary