- 1Muscular strength.More example sentences
- I trust his thew and his brother's wit.
- 1.1 (thews) Muscles and tendons perceived as generating physical strength.More example sentences
- Then I realized that any of the the various small stories of treachery and betrayal I had encountered could form the thews and sinews of a mystery novel.
- The thug strove furiously to clamp his meaty paws around the lighter man's neck, but the deceptive strength of the other's rangy thews held him at bay.
- Renny's claws were embedded in the wiry thews of the jaguar's forearms, streams of blackish blood spilling down his hands as he fought to shred the tendons crushing the life from him.
Old English thēaw 'usage, custom', (plural) '(personal) manner of behaving', of unknown origin. The sense 'good bodily proportions, muscular development' arose in Middle English.
More definitions of thewDefinition of thew in:
- The British & World English dictionary