Make or become thick or thicker: [with object]: thicken the sauce with flour [no object]: the fog had thickened
More example sentences
- As the fog thickened, I heard voices from where James had disappeared.
- Simmer for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pineapple sauce has thickened, then leave to cool.
- Add slowly to the pot and allow the sauce to thicken.
the plot thickens
- Used when a situation is becoming more and more complicated and puzzling.Example sentences
- But the plot thickens because there are another couple of men who were involved in this, but they were actually able to leave the country before it was uncovered.
- But here the plot thickens and the mystery deepens.
- From then on, the plot thickens with gangland hit men, police snoopers, media feeding frenzies, and nasty sexual shenanigans.
Words that rhyme with thickenquicken, sicken, stricken, Wiccan
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.