1A substance added to a liquid to make it firmer, especially in cooking.
- The most familiar use of starch is as a thickener for cooking sauces, as in cornflour, or perhaps as a substance for stiffening shirt collars.
- Wheat flour used as a starch thickener needs relatively long cooking to remove its raw taste; and even after cooking it has a noticeable flavour.
- This is a synthetic substance used as a thickener and to encourage lather.
1.1 Chemistry An apparatus for the sedimentation of solids from suspension in a liquid.
- For instance, a town of 7,000 might have a sewage plant containing four pumps, sludge thickeners, and a chlorinator.
- We're usually talking here about huge buildings stuffed full of crushers, agitators, thickeners, ball mills, conveyors and other vital equipment.
Words that rhyme with thickenersickener
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of thickener in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.