Definition of thickening in English:
1The process or result of becoming broader, deeper, or denser.
- It is believed that babies who develop the condition are not born with pyloric stenosis, but that the progressive thickening of the pylorus occurs after birth.
- The Nazca Plate, which underlies the eastern Pacific Ocean, slides under western South America, resulting in crustal thickening, uplift and volcanism.
- These rocks may represent the product of partial melting caused by crustal thickening during an orogenic event.
1.1A broader, deeper, or denser area of animal or plant tissue.
- The ultrasound examination looks for a thickening of skin behind the fetal neck, called the nuchal fold, which sometimes occurs in Down syndrome and, possibly, other birth defects.
- Fine spiral thickenings are frequent.
- None of the species studied has thickenings in all vessels.
adjectiveBack to top
Becoming broader, deeper, or denser: a hazardous journey through thickening fog
More example sentences
- Although the rough weather and thickening fog beyond the harbour prevented us passing between the high cliffs, we made up for it with a nightcap in the yacht club.
- The once bright sun dulled behind a sheet of faint mist, and many of the busy servants had a hood drawn up against the ever thickening fog.
- If it had not been for the thickening fog, one might have thought that it was going to rain with no clouds in the sky.
Definition of thickening in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.