Definition of thickening in English:
1The process or result of becoming broader, deeper, or denser.
- It is believed that babies who develop the condition are not born with pyloric stenosis, but that the progressive thickening of the pylorus occurs after birth.
- The Nazca Plate, which underlies the eastern Pacific Ocean, slides under western South America, resulting in crustal thickening, uplift and volcanism.
- These rocks may represent the product of partial melting caused by crustal thickening during an orogenic event.
1.1A broader, deeper, or denser area of animal or plant tissue.
- The ultrasound examination looks for a thickening of skin behind the fetal neck, called the nuchal fold, which sometimes occurs in Down syndrome and, possibly, other birth defects.
- Fine spiral thickenings are frequent.
- None of the species studied has thickenings in all vessels.
adjectiveBack to top
Becoming broader, deeper, or denser: a hazardous journey through thickening fog
More example sentences
- Although the rough weather and thickening fog beyond the harbour prevented us passing between the high cliffs, we made up for it with a nightcap in the yacht club.
- The once bright sun dulled behind a sheet of faint mist, and many of the busy servants had a hood drawn up against the ever thickening fog.
- If it had not been for the thickening fog, one might have thought that it was going to rain with no clouds in the sky.
Definition of thickening in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India