- A shaft, especially one of a pair, used to attach a cart or carriage to the animal drawing it.More example sentences
- Ball joints have been used in the connections between the thills or shafts and the horse's harness.
- A pair of thills extend forwardly from the main frame along opposite sides of the flanks of the horse to which the cart is attached.
- When we got righted and again on our way, on descending a gentle hillside and having met some slight obstacle which required us to back up the hill, the sleigh reared up behind and threw us on the thills and horse's feet.
Middle English: of unknown origin.
More definitions of thillDefinition of thill in:
- The British & World English dictionary