Definition of thimble in English:
1A metal or plastic cap with a closed end, worn to protect the finger and push the needle in sewing.
- Daily, a monitor or more advanced student, distributed to each girl in her class a pinafore to wear and a thimble, needle, thread, and materials for work.
- To keep the nails in place, Ancient Egyptian embalmers sometimes either tied the nails to the fingers and toes, or covered them with metal thimbles.
- Mary was sitting on the bed, tapping her foot and humming a tune as she set her needles, thimble, and thread into a sack.
1.1A short metal tube or ferrule.
- All the brass furniture including the buttplate, sideplate, ramrod thimbles, trigger guard, and patchbox were hand polished bright.
- It rests in a stainless-steel thimble screwed to the bottom of the barrel.
- First produced in 1876, it's immediately recognizable by the wiping rod held in thimbles beneath the barrel.
Definition of thimble in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan