Entry from British & World English dictionary
Good enough to be next after the second-best thing of the same type: the North’s third-best band
More example sentences
- Team-mates Danny and Scott also just missed out on making the select team, being voted second-best stand-off and third-best second-row respectively.
- In years to come, they will probably find out that international policy co-ordination is a matter of second-best and third-best solutions.
- Ernie has been the second or third-best player in those six years, but really has never been close.
A level that is less adequate or desirable than best and second best.
- The region's average score at A-level was the third best in the country behind the South East and North West.
- The top player in each game is awarded three points, the second best player two points, and the third best one point.
- The university has climbed 23 places to 31st place in the rankings and is now rated as the third best in Yorkshire - overtaking Leeds and Hull.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: third best
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.