(also thornback ray)
A ray of shallow inshore waters that has spines on the back and tail, in particular.
- ● A prickly skinned European ray that is often eaten as “skate” (Raja clavata, family Rajidae). ● A ray that lives in the warm waters of the Pacific (Platyrhinoidis triseriata, family Platyrhinidae).
More example sentences
- Although they do not undergo a distinct migration, thornbacks appear to move inshore slightly to spawn.
- Although thornbacks are found throughout UK waters, as always there are certain key areas that give you a better than average chance.
- The best ray for eating, and the one best known in Europe, is Raja clavata, the thornback ray.
Definition of thornback in:
- The British & World English dictionary