(also thornback ray)
Definition of thornback in English:
A ray of shallow inshore waters that has spines on the back and tail, in particular.
- ● A prickly skinned European ray that is often eaten as “skate” (Raja clavata, family Rajidae). ● A ray that lives in the warm waters of the Pacific (Platyrhinoidis triseriata, family Platyrhinidae).
- Although they do not undergo a distinct migration, thornbacks appear to move inshore slightly to spawn.
- Although thornbacks are found throughout UK waters, as always there are certain key areas that give you a better than average chance.
- The best ray for eating, and the one best known in Europe, is Raja clavata, the thornback ray.
Definition of thornback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan