Definition of thorny oyster in English:
A bivalve mollusk of warm seas, whose pinkish-brown shell is heavily ribbed and bears blunt or flattened spines.
- Family Spondylidae: Spondylus and other genera
- I can still see the vivid orange flesh of a large thorny oyster, its shell spread open and decorated with a quilt of coral.
- By late prehispanic times, the thorny oyster was distributed widely throughout the central Andes.
- However, there are many marine parks and sanctuaries in which the thorny oysters may be found.
Definition of thorny oyster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan