- A bivalve mollusk of warm seas, whose pinkish-brown shell is heavily ribbed and bears blunt or flattened spines.
More example sentences
- Family Spondylidae: Spondylus and other genera
- I can still see the vivid orange flesh of a large thorny oyster, its shell spread open and decorated with a quilt of coral.
- By late prehispanic times, the thorny oyster was distributed widely throughout the central Andes.
- However, there are many marine parks and sanctuaries in which the thorny oysters may be found.
More definitions of thorny oysterDefinition of thorny oyster in:
- The British & World English dictionary