- Success in this environment requires a thorough understanding of systems theory.
- Prevention only works when you have a thorough understanding about how and why things fail.
- Whenever he was doing something in mathematics, he always strove to achieve a thorough understanding of the subject.
- The physician also should perform a thorough physical examination of the child, looking for any unusual marks or bruises.
- An experienced structural engineer performed a thorough examination of the school building.
- This is the most thorough examination by divers of the wreck site since 1982.
- I'm trying very hard to be careful and thorough, and to present new information and new claims as they become available.
- As a mathematician, Dodgson was rather conservative but certainly thorough and careful.
- Eventually we will know these things, but we must be diligent, thorough, persistent and patient.
- It is indicative of the thorough mess Britain's farmers are in when a beef crisis tax threatens the livelihood of pork producers.
- Mather had excellent support in the back row, with Hills making a thorough nuisance of himself, as every openside should.
- It was a fitting tribute to a thorough gentleman, consummate professional and true Celt.
Old English thuruh, alteration of thurh 'through.' Original use was as an adverb and preposition, in senses of through. The adjective dates from the late 15th century, when it also had the sense 'that goes or extends through something', surviving in thoroughfare.
- More example sentences
- But it is clear that Senators carried out their function conscientiously and with thoroughness.
- Councillors, who had already visited the site, were impressed by the applicant's thoroughness.
- He served on a number of committees and could always be counted on for his diligence and thoroughness.