Definition of thorough-paced in English:
1Highly skilled or trained.
- Wood's character of him is, that he was an exact mathematician, a curious calculator of nativities, a general read scholar, a thorough-paced philologist, and one that understood the surveying of lands well.
1.1Absolute (used to emphasize the degree to which someone or something exemplifies a characteristic).
- He was by no means as thorough-paced an old sinner as Fitzgerald would have us believe.
- A thorough-paced antiquary not only remembers what all other people have thought proper to forget, but he also forgets what all other people think is proper to remember.
- A dearth of general information is almost necessary to the thorough-paced coffee-house politician; in the absence of thought, imagination, sentiment, he is attracted immediately to the nearest commonplace.
Definition of thorough-paced in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.