Definition of thoroughbred in English:
1(Of a horse) of pure breed, especially of a breed originating from English mares and Arab stallions and widely used as racehorses.
- He is passionate about horses and breeds thoroughbred racehorses.
- The first one touching the rope here will receive the prize, which is the handsome thoroughbred race horse, saddle, bridle, and spurs, standing yonder.
- Noblemen founded stables and became interested in breeding thoroughbred racehorses.
nounBack to top
1A horse of a thoroughbred breed.
- Harness racing, pacing and trotting, is raced by standard-bred horses as opposed to thoroughbreds, who do the galloping.
- Her hobby is betting on horses, and Josef's business is breeding and racing thoroughbreds.
- In recent seasons, the lucrative prizes and improvements in equine aviation have attracted the cream of Europe's thoroughbreds to the annual US extravaganza.
1.1 informal An outstanding or first-class person or thing: this is a real thoroughbred of a record
More example sentences
- He looks a real thoroughbred in attack and defence, and has the unusual ability in the current context of remaining injury free.
- Second record cap-holder and an immense tackler, Scott was a thoroughbred from 19, and got stronger and stronger.
- Outstanding in midfield this season, the 32-year-old thoroughbred switched to centre-back after his teammate limped off with a knee injury just over half an hour into the action.
Words that rhyme with thoroughbredaforesaid • Holinshed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan