Definition of thoroughbred in English:
1(Of a horse) of pure breed, especially of a breed originating from English mares and Arab stallions and widely used as racehorses.
- He is passionate about horses and breeds thoroughbred racehorses.
- The first one touching the rope here will receive the prize, which is the handsome thoroughbred race horse, saddle, bridle, and spurs, standing yonder.
- Noblemen founded stables and became interested in breeding thoroughbred racehorses.
nounBack to top
1A horse of a thoroughbred breed.
- Harness racing, pacing and trotting, is raced by standard-bred horses as opposed to thoroughbreds, who do the galloping.
- Her hobby is betting on horses, and Josef's business is breeding and racing thoroughbreds.
- In recent seasons, the lucrative prizes and improvements in equine aviation have attracted the cream of Europe's thoroughbreds to the annual US extravaganza.
1.1 informal An outstanding or first-class person or thing: this is a real thoroughbred of a record
More example sentences
- He looks a real thoroughbred in attack and defence, and has the unusual ability in the current context of remaining injury free.
- Second record cap-holder and an immense tackler, Scott was a thoroughbred from 19, and got stronger and stronger.
- Outstanding in midfield this season, the 32-year-old thoroughbred switched to centre-back after his teammate limped off with a knee injury just over half an hour into the action.
Words that rhyme with thoroughbredaforesaid • Holinshed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.