Definition of thresher in English:
1A person or machine that separates grain from the plants by beating.
- Agriculture thrives on the other side of those hills; grain threshers reaping wheat, trucks full of tomatoes, cucumbers and watermelons.
- Drilling rigs replaced grain threshers and steam tractors at a frenzied pace.
- Magnus described respiratory symptoms among threshers of grain in 1555.
2 (also thresher shark) A surface-living shark with a long upper lobe to the tail. Threshers often hunt in pairs, lashing the water with their tails to herd fish into a tightly packed shoal.
- Alopias vulpinus, family Alopidae
- ‘In September a thresher shark was spotted near Turbot Bank, off Freshwater West,’ said Mark Burton, assistant marine conservation officer at Skomer Marine Nature Reserve.
- At 28m to the west of the channel mouth is an interesting pinnacle which acts as a magnet for schooling fish and their predators, including the infamous ‘grim reaper’ - the thresher shark.
- Peering through my viewfinder, I could scarcely believe what I was seeing, because the pelagic thresher shark is extremely rare.
Words that rhyme with thresherflesher, fresher, pressure
Definition of thresher in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan