1The quality of using money and other resources carefully and not wastefully: the values of thrift and self-reliance
More example sentences
- The annual awards recognise the efforts made by school principals, teachers and parents to encourage the habit of regular saving, thrift and money management.
- Battling the elements, espousing values of thrift, industry and resourcefulness, the film has the feel of a ‘Boys' Own Adventure’.
- I agree that thrift and self-reliance are important values, but so are tolerance and the fair-go principle of maximising equality of opportunity.
1.1US another term for savings and loan.
- A third set of factors pertains to the market specialization of different institutions - after accounting for the regulatory contrasts among banks, thrifts, credit unions, and indies.
- The nation's banks and thrifts have increasingly staked their loan portfolios on the mortgage and home-equity businesses.
- Ellison delivered a 19.7% return by sticking to regional banks and thrifts with clean balance sheets.
2A European plant that forms low-growing tufts of slender leaves with rounded pink flower heads, growing chiefly on sea cliffs and mountains. Also called sea pink.
- Armeria maritima, family Plumbaginaceae
- Enclosing the garden will be a traditional dry stone wall planted with native Irish plants - yarrow, thrift, heart's tongue fern and maiden hair spleenwort.
- I knew the nodding pink flowers of thrift, and those white ones with the bulbous base must be sea campion.
- Primrose, cowslip, lady's mantle, bugle, thrift, clustered bellflower are widely available in garden centres, but are all natives.
Words that rhyme with thriftadrift, drift, gift, grift, lift, rift, shift, shrift, sift, squiffed, swift, uplift
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.