Definition of thrips in English:
noun (plural same)
A minute black winged insect that sucks plant sap and can be a serious pest of ornamental and food plants when present in large numbers.
- Order Thysanoptera: many species
- Insects such as ants, mealy bugs and thrips have been found in 37 out of 43 shipments, which then needed fumigation.
- Here, we present the entire nucleotide sequence of the mt genome of the plague thrips, Thrips imaginis (Thysanoptera).
- The most common insect pests of scallions are thrips, which arrive in mid-June and are a particular problem in dry weather, and occasionally cutworms or armyworms.
Definition of thrips in:
- British & World English dictionary