noun (plural thrombi /-ˌbī/)
- A blood clot formed in situ within the vascular system of the body and impeding blood flow.More example sentences
- Mechanical valves are made with a combination of metals and sophisticated materials to ensure durability and a smooth surface to avoid blood clots, thrombi, forming.
- Blood clots, or thrombi, trigger most heart attacks and strokes.
- The lung showed focal bronchopneumonia, multiple thrombi, and focal hemorrhagic infarcts.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek thrombos 'lump, blood clot'.
More definitions of thrombusDefinition of thrombus in:
- The British & World English dictionary