- 1(Of an engine) idle.More example sentences
- I fired up the two big engines, they were ticking over beautifully at approximately 1000 rpm.
- With the engine still ticking over, the lady was genuinely worried for her safety.
- The engine will not tick over at less than 20000 revs.
- 1.1Work or function at a basic or minimum level: they are keeping things ticking over until their father returnsMore example sentences
- There's also a problem in that my normal mode of thinking of stuff to write about is mostly because my mind sort of ticks over if I'm not thinking of anything particularly fiercely.
- I think there was more pressure on me at the time because I came in to keep things ticking over for Celtic.
- They keep all the bits in working order, not just ticking over in a repetitious way.
More definitions of tick overDefinition of tick over in:
- The British & World English dictionary