Definition of tier in English:
1A row or level of a structure, typically one of a series of rows placed one above the other and successively receding or diminishing in size: a tier of seats [in combination]: the room was full of three-tier metal bunks
More example sentences
- For an hour-and-a-half, their contest was so intense that from the court you could hear cutlery being removed from the hospitality booths three tiers above.
- But the residents say development will come within 70 ft of the edge of the boulder clay cliff and will be only 30 to 50 ft above the first tier of houses.
- Three sides of the inner chamber were lined with tiers of seats, the fourth being a flat extension of the floor, where sat the Mayor and his clerks.
1.1One of a number of successively overlapping ruffles or flounces on a garment.
- Nicole Kidman chose a Chanel pink-chiffon, spaghetti-strap gown with tiers of ruffles running down the bodice, and 200 carats of raw Bulgari diamonds wrapped around her neck.
- Scarlet Johansson in a very green dress that has tiers of green ruffles.
- Meg took it and drank slowly, careful not to spill any on her dress, while Mrs. Carroll fretted around the pair, nervously fidgeting with the bottom tier of the gown.
1.2A level or grade within the hierarchy of an organization or system: companies have taken out a tier of management to save money
More example sentences
- We should like to see a better representation from people of various faiths at all tiers within the Charity Commission.
- Critics of the plan believe it is rooted as much in political expediency as in a genuine desire to revamp the topmost tier of the legal system.
- These schools would compose the bottom tier of an educational hierarchy based on privilege.
Late 15th century: from French tire 'sequence, order', from tirer 'elongate, draw'.
- Example sentences
- However, mixed with softer more feminine elements, such as tiered cotton skirts and frilled shirts, this look is extremely wearable.
- It has an air-conditioned, tiered lecture theatre, a conference room for 270 and a large number of seminar rooms.
- The indoor school has a specially constructed floor of rubber and sand, floodlighting, and a spectator area with tiered seating.
Words that rhyme with tieradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre • acquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan