nounIndian or • dated
- A light meal, especially lunch.More example sentences
- The business of delivering dabbas - also known as tiffins, from an Anglo-Indian word for ‘lunch’ - began more than a century ago, reputedly at the request of a hungry English administrator.
- And despite our objections, they brush the dust off our feet, fan us if we are looking hot and share their tiffin with us.
- From an all-time tiffin to a filling meal, dosa has made a place in the heart of gourmets across the country.
early 19th century: apparently from dialect tiffing 'sipping', of unknown origin.
More definitions of tiffinDefinition of tiffin in:
- The British & World English dictionary